Thursday, December 28, 2006

Unpacking surprises

So after a long battle with the life of living as a nomad, my world is finally settling down and I plan on doing all sorts of organizational activities, including counting the 7 remaining socks I have and buying more, and most importantly, going through all that crap that I simply threw in boxes 4 months ago.

Uncovering the greatest treasure/treat/Hanukkah gift of them all, I unearthed a paycheck from August 31st from before the days of having direct deposit. After confirming with payroll today, the check is barely still valid, but I am $1100 richer than I previously thought and feel like a new man once again. Had I not been such a bum for the past few months, this holiday surprise would not have been possible. Special thanks to LRod for making this ridiculousness happen, for my boxes and myself would have otherwise been sleeping in newspapers on the street, which would have certainly made that paycheck disappear.

The fake wall has been put up, the apartment is looking finalized, and now I have more money than I thought which can now be spent on making my life pretty. For anyone interested in 48" of Super Smash Brothers, don't be shy or hesitate to call my richer than I thought ass that will be planted on couch of garnish.

I wish I had more to share other than my personal gains, but learning about Stuy Town and eventually moving to it have in fact taught me a few lessons in demographics during this holiday season of "caring" about others and buying presents for ourselves. Of all the responses I've heard from people when I mention Stuy town ("That place is a ghetto," "That place is all families," "That place is all old people"), none have proven true. In reality, Stuy Town is a collection of all these stereotypes, as myself and Gleg have moved next door to the old lady who has been there for 40 years, with random Spanish guy who has been there for awhile as well just two doors down. A fight broke out in front of my building the other night, so I guess ghetto remains as well, while my upstairs neighbors seem to have dogs and/or children that run around and make freaky noises on their floor/my ceiling when I am at home in the middle of the day. I have not heard, "that place is all NYU and twenty somethings," but that demographic also remains strong as the landlord renovates these spaces out of everybody's price range except for the eager young people who don't yet care that half of their livelihood is used to pay rent (or parents' money if you are a student).

Lesson learned: Don't judge a former housing project by its cover, as many chapters within reveal varying degrees of individuals and people who live under various tiers of rent control.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home